There is an increasing pressure on organizations, both in government and private companies, to integrate climate change considerations into their strategy, planning and execution. This is particularly important for the carbon-intensive and fossil fuel sectors.
IN PRINCIPLE, MANAGEMENT OF CLIMATE RISK IS THE BOARD’S RESPONSIBILITY.
- There are significant weaknesses in the climate approaches of many organizations – especially the lack of credible strategy and targets that align with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
- Boards that fail to recognize the significant material risk climate change presents and the role they play in developing and driving the company transition to a low carbon business model are leaving their organization exposed to strategic, financial and market risk.
- This puts pressure on boards to clearly demonstrate that the directors have the necessary skills, outlook and expertise required to address these challenges.
About the Instructor(s)
Peter Cockcroft is a globally renowned energy expert, with more than 40 years of executive experience in global energy operations, as well being a board director (both executive and non-executive) for many global companies, on every continent. Thus, he is uniquely qualified to lead organizations along their energy transition path with a one-day “hands-on” workshop for Boards, as well as a general Energy Transition training week for both public and inhouse covering Emissions reporting, the role of carbon markets, Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage, as well as the role of Hydrogen in your decarbonization journey.
This Course Addresses
- Why is a net-zero strategy important for your organization?
- Analyze climate risks and opportunities specific to your organization and sector.
- Develop strategic options to take you from your current situation to your stated goals, both short-term and long-term.
- Neutralizing and mitigating emissions outside of your current value chain.
- Energy Transition skills needed to upgrade Directors and C-Suite executives.
- Reporting, monitoring and communicating your decarbonization plan.
- Learn how to use carbon credits, Renewable Energy Certificates and carbon offsets.
- Review how climate change can affect your organization from 8 different perspectives:
– physical factors,
– investors and lenders,
– society and pressure groups, customers,
– competition, and regulations
- Setting targets in alignment with National and International goals.
- Identifying, measuring, reporting, mitigating your GHG emissions (Scope 1, 2 and 3) – what is included in your carbon footprint?
- Skills Scorecard for Board Directors, based on leadership, strategy, ownership and measurement.
Who Should Attend
- Board members
- C-suite executives
- Government regulators
- External advisors
- Finance industry officials
What Will I Learn?
- HOW TO DEVELOP A NET-ZERO OR DECARBONIZATION PLAN FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION.
- HOW TO IDENTIFY, MEASURE, REDUCE, MITIGATE, MONITOR, REPORT, AND COMMUNICATE YOUR GHG EMISSIONS AND REDUCE EXPOSURE THROUGH THE USE OF CARBON CREDITS AND/OR GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE.
- ENHANCE SKILLS ARE NEEDED FOR SENIOR EXECUTIVES AND BOARD DIRECTORS TO DEVELOP SUSTAINABLE CARBON MANAGEMENT AND NET-ZERO STRATEGY.
Take part in a board scorecard to determine the net-zero capabilities of the board directors – concentrating on leadership, ownership, strategy and measurement. You will receive a PDF of your Board Scorecard results, with scores for each section and an overall score out of 100.